Monday, August 24, 2009

We didn't go fishing; we went catching.

Last week before school starts - and what do I do with my kids? They are totally content playing video games. They will play through meal times and not feel hungry. I'm OK with some electronic indulgence during the summer since it will be cut WAY back once school starts, but we needed to get out. I thought it'd be fun to go fishing and Nathaniel could earn a cub scout belt loop. But Chris explained to Davis a couple of years ago that it's called "fishing" and not "catching" for a reason. So I decided to go for a sure thing.
We headed up to Mt. Baldy village about an hour East of us. This is a shot of Than and I at the "Ski Resort" up there (one chair lift that you could see the top of from the parking lot). It was pretty and much cooler up there (greater than 4,000 ft elevation I think) than in the LA basin.
We went to some trout pools where you pay per inch of each fish you catch. The boys didn't catch fish on every cast because the first cast Nathaniel made, the bait came off, and then Davis wised up and would jerk the bait away from fish he thought were too little. Like I said - we went catching. It was fun though.
Here's Davis with some fresh dinner.
And Nathaniel with an fish who is still ready for action.
My job was using the pliers to get the hooks out of the fishes' mouths, and then cook them up for dinner. Nathaniel lost his enthusiasm for them when he saw them in the pan and went for the potatoes instead. But Davis and Chris loved them. I would prefer to go to the boneless, skinless filet catching pond next, but they were still good.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, you guys dont do very much fun stuff. You should try to get out more. :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen