Thursday, October 1, 2009

September update

Here is my attempt to update September. There was more, but I haven't come to grips with it all yet.
Nathaniel started 4th grade this year.
Davis and friend on first day of 8th grade.
Nathaniel has a rock polisher and collects rocks. Here is the starting batch from the latest "tumbling". One the right you can see a few pieces of jade he collected from the beach on our trip to the central coast this summer. The rest were a gift from his Grandma.
Nathaniel loves rocks and collects them whenever he has a chance.

Between each step in the process the used grit is washed off the rocks and the next type is added. It looks like cement after the bits of rock are broken off to smooth the edges.
Here's Nathaniel displaying the finished rocks (and his sunburn).

After 6 weeks and 4 types of grit, the polishing is done. Then Nathaniel starts to give them away as he collects more for the next batch.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I love that Nathaniel has a hobby that requires some deferred gratification -- way to go, Nathaniel!

(And when I read that something has happened that you haven't come to grips with yet, my first thought was, "Huh, I wonder if Jen's pregnant." Now just guess what I'm trying to completely come to grips with. *sigh* At least I'm mostly there.)

Kristen said...

Wow! Those rocks look great! I thought the first pic was the finished product and thought that was weird.