Thursday, April 23, 2009

April Blooms

April doesn't bring many showers to S. Ca. We get most of our rain in January and February tailing off in March. But there are some terrific flowers out right now. The air smells great with orange and lemon trees finishing up their blossoms and honeysuckle in full bloom. Here are some pics of some flowers that I thought were especially pretty.
I have no idea what this is called. It is kind of like a bleeding heart flower, but much bigger and the blossoms are tube shaped. I saw this while walking to the train station with Nathaniel's class field trip.
This is a yucca plant up along a trail in the Rose Bowl. I've seen yucca flowers before, but they are ususally all white. These had purple tips on them. (They were prettier than my cell phone camera could depict.)
Click on this one to make it bigger. The colors don't show up as well in the small version of the picture. This is above my garden with lavender in the foreground, CA poppies center right and my sage is blooming with purple spikes in the background. It's especially pretty in the morning sun.
Cala Lily in my yard (can you find the ant?)


I think this is called butterfly iris. It is a plant that takes any amount of abuse and requires very little water and still blooms all summer. Miraculously, it isn't invasive like most other plants that fit that description. Its very handy for borders that won't get much attention.

I love the California Poppies. They last longer in my yard than in the wild because they get some extra water. They are so bright and sunny. And they self-seed to return each spring.

This is something that just comes up each spring behind the house. Its in a spot that will have red Amyrillis blooming in a couple weeks followed by yellow Gladiola. Then by the middle of summer pink Naked Lady Lillies will bloom there. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

wow, you have really beautiful flowers growing in your yard!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I hope you dont mind I added your blog to our list :)