Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Time

Its full-on Summer in the garden now. This week we've had the tomatoes and corn ripening and the beans and raspberries look like they are on their last legs. The lettuce bolted a couple weeks ago (except for one stray head that I picked today) and I'm waiting for it to go to seed to collect them for fall planting. When the tomatoes get going full blast, then I'll start making tomato soup to freeze for winter. The past couple years we've had enough to last all year. I didn't get around to planting sunflowers this year, but the volunteers came through for me. (Squirrels who were sloppy when they ate last year's sunflowers and dropped seeds.)
This daisy-like flower is called Feverfew - its supposed to be a natural insect repellent.
HA shot of the corn patch.
A couple weeks ago I had to tie up the tomatoes again because the plants grew so big and I knocked off some green tomatoes. We fried them (what else do you do with them?)
But now they are starting to ripen up so I pick a few each day.
And this is what lunch looks like in the summer - tomato salad with fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and cucumbers.

2 comments:

Carlin said...

I would be interested in your tomato soup recipe. The kids love grilled cheese and tomato soup in the fall/winter and we planted a lot of tomatoes this year.

Any plants that naturally repel ants that you know of? They chomped down almost all of my beans this year.

California Garners said...

I'm trying to get rid of ants too! They farm aphids on my beans and sometimes tomatoes. I've tried using chives and nasturtium that are supposed to repel ants. It might be working some, but I still have to use a 20% soap solution to spray my beans. (See June posting.) I'll post the soup recipe.