Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First day - new schools

The boys started at their new schools today. But first, Monday night and last night they got in the spa with Chris. Nathaniel wonders if the spa-schedule will be like the video game schedule during the school year - only on the weekends. I haven't gotten that far to make spa-use rules.
So, off to school. This is the only day that Davis and Nathaniel will go to school at the same time. Davis has 6am seminary (starting next week) and 7am band everyday (starting tomorrow). He's one of the few teenagers I know who will have no problem getting up and being ready that early. I just have to make sure he doesn't set his alarm too early, otherwise when he is ready 10 minutes later he is in my room trying to get me out of bed to drive him because he doesn't want to sit around being bored for another hour.
Take note of the shoes. Davis always likes colorful shoes and this year Nathaniel wanted yellow converse. But then we found out the school he is going to has uniforms. He was worried they wouldn't let him wear his yellow shoes. The uniform policy didn't decree a shoe standard other than closed-toe sneaker style shoes and just expressed a preference for "light colored" shoes. Well, yellow is light colored. I'll go to bat for him if he gets any negative feedback on the shoes.

5th grade! We walked Nathaniel in to his classroom. He looked less-than-confident when he found his seat and sat down. I hope the teacher does an ice breaker activity. He'll warm up pretty fast when he gets talking to the other kids. Davis just wanted to be dropped off at the high school and was off like a shot without a backward glance. He's been running with the cross country team for a few weeks now so he already knows some kids, he went to freshman orientation and picked up his books and pe clothes, so he's ready to go. No parting picture though.
I found, however, I am not as soft hearted as I thought I might be. I sent my boys off into unknown territory with a dry eye thinking, "I only have 6 hours to get as much done as I can before I have to go pick them up again." Let's see if I can get in a jog, run errands, unpack some boxes, prep my lab slides for tomorrow, and then get to the elementary school on time.

No comments: