Thursday, September 9, 2010

A little more comfortable

So, what have we accomplished this week? (The major accomplishments were keeping everyone going through a busy and difficult first week of school.) But, after fixing the dryer early Saturday morning, Chris and the missionaries (who were wandering by and always looking to provide service) knocked out the little room in the corner of the garage. Now the Prius can fit on that side along with the bikes, camping gear, and kiln (yes, kiln.)





I painted the inside of the laundry room cupboards so I could put things away.

I unpacked as many boxes as I could to clear out the garage and living room. Now the living room only has living room stuff in it - even if it doesn't yet have a floor.

I unpacked boxes and boxes of books- some that haven't been unpacked in 8 years. Nathaniel was helping me unpack, but its too hard to pack or unpack books without getting distracted when you find one of your favorites.





I cleaned out one of the 3 fireplaces. Yuck. It had sand to cover the gas burner under soot (because they burned something other than gas in it) dust, something that looked like torn quilt batting, spider webs, cigarette butts, used match sticks, and popsicle sticks.






This is just one corner of the shower in the master bath. There was a thick layer of soap scum/hard water deposits/calk/grout/fossils around the whole edge. I had to scrape out every crevice and over every tile. No lime-remover liquid was going to work on this.





The master bathroom is all painted and the tape and plastic removed.






This is my heavy duty bathroom cleaner. I call it "Mr. Spackle Knife". I sat in the middle of the shower and just rotated as I scraped.











No floor in the bathroom yet. I did get all the nails and staples out of the plywood so, until we get some vinyl in there to make due for a couple (2, 3, 4, 5...) years until we remodel, the blue tarp will have to do.


I put our room together yesterday and the shower is finally ready for use after Chris caulked the big gaps in the corners that let water run right into the floorboards and wallboard.












I don't know why the pics are arranged like this. Nathaniel's room is nice and bright and he finally got the red fuzzy rug he was asking for, although in floor mat size instead of wall-to-wall.




Davis is very comfortable in his room.












And the guest room will probably function as Chris' closet until we get shelves and bars in ours (my clothes are in two wardrobe boxes Chris put in the closet). But, we'll clean it out when you come to visit!




1 comment:

Bethany said...

It's looking so beautiful! And thanks for the soup thoughts -- I appreciate the nice wishes!