Friday, January 23, 2009

Unfortunately - Fortunately

Unfortunately, yesterday I ran out of gas. Fortunately, I was in the right lane on the freeway when I noticed that, unfortunately, I wasn't accelerating. Fortunately, I was going over 60mph and I knew I could make it to the next exit, but, unfortunately, I had no idea if there would be a gas station. Fortunately, I coasted to the off ramp and unfortunately, it made a 180 degree turn. Fortunately it had a pretty steep downward slope. Unfortunately, the light at the intersection was red. Fortunately, there were no cars in front of me at the light and the downward slope was enough that I could get myself going by sticking my left leg out the door and pushing a little. Unfortunately, I wasn't going fast enough to make it through the intersection before the light changed. Fortunately, the oncoming cars saw my emergency lights or my leg sticking out the door, and waited for me to clear the intersection. Unfortunately, my power steering stopped working and I had no idea where a gas station was. Fortunately, the road continued down a hill and, a block later, there was a Chevron. Unfortunately, there was another light and the gas station was on the far left corner. Fortunately, the light was green. Unfortunately, there was a red left turn arrow and a slight uphill to get into the gas station. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic and no police officer to see me run through the red left turn signal (not using breaks so I could get up the hill). Unfortunately, there was some guy at the first pump sitting with the passenger side door open talking on the phone blocking my way. Fortunately, there was room to squeeze by and I was able to get close enough to the pump on the right side of the car. Unfortunately, my power breaks also stopped working. Fortunately, a good stomp stopped the car. It was then that two cars pulled up next to me. They had seen me two intersections before and had followed to see if they could help. What nice people.

Now, who says driving on the LA freeways is dangerous?

3 comments:

Running Water said...

LOL!

Lyndsey said...

This is by far the most amazing running out of Gas story I have ever heard. Your boys are getting so big Jennifer. So nice to check in on you guys!c

Bethany said...

Hilarious! (your writing, that is, the story -- potentially nerve-wracking if it hadn't been for the light-hearted writing) By-the-way, I love, Love, LOVE your garden! Oh, and what run are you training for next?