Friday, August 13, 2010

In-ground Spa

This is the in-ground spa in our yard. It's pretty big - 12 ft at it's longest side and 9 ft across at its widest point. I did not want a pool or spa in the yard - not excited about the expense and potential liability. But, it came with the house, so I'm sure we'll learn to enjoy it. I thought it would be like a home chemistry project - add some chlorine, adjust the pH, test with little color strips. However, this spa was messed up. The previous owner completely neglected it and so when the green goop started growing, the realtor dumped an unmeasured amount of chlorine and acid into it. So, it was crystal clear - and totally toxic. The acid started eating away the copper pipes in the spa heater so there was way too much metal in the water.
I spent a whole week going to the pool supply store every day to have my water tested and buy some product to fix the water - metal remover (a chelator), "alkaline-up" (just a buffer, really it's just baking soda), dry acid, chlorine tabs, "conditioner" (not for your hair, it keeps the chlorine from evaporating so fast.) Still, the water was murky and weird.
So I called pool services for quotes. I needed someone to get it into shape. I am completely ignoring the yard. I'll get to it after we move in and work on it gradually (even though some patches of grass are thigh-high). But, acidic water can ruin the spa equipment and cost us a lot of money. If I can get a pool guy to clean it up (and vacuum out the dirt at the bottom), I can probably maintain the chemicals from there with Nathaniel scooping out leaves for me.
After 4 days of the pool guy coming every day, it's ready! But I didn't bring my suit. Darn!

No comments: